Skip to content
- What Causes Bed Bugs?
- There are various schools of thought about the
origins of bed bugs in America.
- According to one such observation, early ECU
colonists were primarily responsible for bringing these bugs to America.
- The extensive use of DDT had all but
exterminated these bugs by the mid 20th century.
- According to researchers uncluttered and unclean
rooms are the main cause of bed bugs.
- There are many reasons apart from that which
cause bed bugs including unhygienic, unsanitary conditions which assist in
increasing the infestation.
Generally found in zones where mammals and birds
- Bed bugs are generally found in zones where
mammals and birds have their nests.
- These bugs feed on warm blooded animals and are
transferred to homes via animals.
- One first needs to understand the conditions
that help to spread bed bugs from one place to another to arrive at a positive
- These bugs typically attach themselves to
clothes, linen, bedding and furniture and are thus transported from one place
to another via these means.
- Since bed bugs prefer the blood of human beings
they are found in higher numbers in our homes.
The bed bugs can easily hide in the joints
- Thanks to their flat and small shape, the bed
bugs can easily hide in the joints and cracks of boxes, furniture, and luggage.
- The bed bug infested luggage, carried along by a
visitor to your home, can easily cause an infestation in your home too.
- While most people believe that these bugs are a
thing of the past, the reality is that they are increasing at an alarming
frequency of 500% per year. They also find their way into uninfected places by
travelers visiting America from other countries.
These bugs hide during the day and creep
- Belonging to the cimicidae family of insects,
these bugs hide during the day and creep out of their hiding places at night to
launch their attack on humans.
- The typical characteristics of bed bug bites are
extremely itchy red swelling on the torso, arms, and legs.
- These bites are often confused with mosquito
bites but the itchy sensation left by bed bug bites last much longer than those
caused by mosquitoes.
- In the past, DDT was used extensively to combat
this menace, but since DDT is being phased out due to health related issues,
these bugs are returning back in a big way.
- Another major problem is that the common
insecticides that are used to exterminate insects like cockroaches have no
effect on these bugs.
Especially in the North, bats and migratory birds
- In certain parts of America, especially in the
North, bats and migratory birds are the prime source of bed bug infestation.
- If you have traveled abroad, chances are that
you are unknowingly importing bed bugs in your clothing and luggage.
- It is strongly recommended to take preventive
action rather than repent later.
- Once these bugs hide in cracks and crevices of
the walls, it is very tough to locate and exterminate them.
- Check your new home carefully for any signs of
infestation and check used furniture thoroughly before bringing them into your
- The main causes of bed bugs infestation are due
to the increase in international travel along with the bugs forming resistance
to insecticides that were previously used to exterminate them.